- What are boiled peanuts?
- Boiled peanuts are simply RAW (unroasted) peanuts boiled in salty water for a long time. They are a common snack in the states of South Carolina, Georgia, northern Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and to a lesser extent, North Carolina and Virginia. Boiled peanuts (and similarly boiled soybeans) also exist in other cultures around the globe, throughout Asia, especially, and Western Africa. Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell and are consumed, still wet, by cracking open the softened shell and slurping down the contents along with the brine.
- What are raw peanuts and how are they different from "green" peanuts? What kind are yours?
- Raw peanuts are any kind of peanut that is unroasted; some raw peanuts are available "green," which means straight out of the ground and moist. Peanuts that are "green" are highly perishable and therefore are available only during the weeks that peanuts are harvested because they must be refrigerated just as soon as they leave the field. Most raw peanuts are not green, but are air dried to bring down their moisture content and make them storable. The Lee Bros. Catalogue sells boiled peanuts every which way: our fresh Boiled Peanuts are made in the conventional Lowcountry manner, using the dried raw peanuts. We also sell the dried raw peanuts in our "kit," for customers to boil themselves. We also carry Roddenbery's "green" boiled peanuts in a can.
- How do you serve and eat boiled peanuts?
- Boiled peanuts are well-suited to eating outdoors; if consumed inside, be sure to have plenty of napkins and wasters on hand for the wet hands and empty shells. We recommend serving boiled peanuts in the shell at room temperature in a simple bowl with a large plate or saucer underneath to catch the shells. Many prefer them warm, which can be accomplished by microwaving them (with a plastic wrap lid on the vessel) or by reheating them on the stovetop, immersed in salty water.
- How do you store boiled peanuts?
- Fresh boiled peanuts should be kept refrigerated and will keep for about 10 days, possibly longer, in the fridge. For longer storage, boiled peanuts should be frozen. Raw dried peanuts, of the sort that we sell with our kits, keep for over four months in a cool, dark, dry spot.
- How do you order from the catalogue? Can I order online?
- All orders go through The Lee Bros. Boiled Peanuts Catalogue ordering line or are submitted through the order form on this web site. We always encourage phone orders for the superior immediacy and speed of a personal conversation. Just dial our number, 843-720-8890. We look forward to your order and will do everything possible to make your ordering experience quick and convenient. Either way you place your order, you rest assured that we will speak with you to confirm the details of your order so you know exactly when to expect delivery.
- How much will the 2nd Day shipping cost for the perishable fresh boiled peanuts?
- In an attempt to keep shipping costs as low as possible in an era of $4+ gas, we charge only what Fedex charges us--and we have a great discount off their retail prices, which we pass along to our customers. We never charge a handling fee. Since the exact cost of shipping varies daily due to the fluctuating price of fuel, we calculate the shipping the day your order ships. An estimate for shipping the perishable 5lb pack to the West Coast is approximately $32; shipments to Chicago and New York area are running about $28 and to states closest to South Carolina the shipping is approximately $18. Extremely rural addresses usually cost an extra $3.00 more than urban addresses in the same state. All other items in the catalogue can be sent by regular ground service, which is typically less expensive than shipping by US mail Parcel Post, and more secure. Phone or email us for a precise estimate based on the weight of your order.
- Do you ship to APO addresses?
- Yes, we have been successfully shipping all the non-perishable products in the Catalogue, including the canned boiled peanuts, to APO addresses for over fifteen years. The only item we aren't able to ship are the perishable fresh boiled peanuts.
- How do I know what to make the check out for? What credit cards do you accept? When will you ship my order?
- Talk to us, phone us (we're happy to phone you back), tell us what you want and where it's going. We will compute your grand total and confirm your order. All our orders are prepaid, so we'll ship your order once we receive your check or money order. We accept American Express, Visa and Mastercard credit cards.